Active Metabolic Rate (AMR) is the amount of calories burnt by human body in a single day – 24 hours.
Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the amount of calories burnt by the body to maintain normal body functions, it is also burnt in a period of 24 hours, even if you are sleeping or in an inactive state like comma.
You need to know the following things before calculating:
- Your weight in pounds
- Height in inches
- Age in years
To calculate how many calories you burnt a day, we have to calculate first your BMR.
Formula in Calculating BMR :
Adult MEN BMR = 66 + ( 6.3 x weight in lbs. ) + (12.9 x height in inches ) – ( 6.8 x age in years )
Adult WOMEN BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in lbs. ) + ( 12.9 x height in inches ) – ( 4.7 x age in years )
Then, we calculate your Active Metabolic Rate but first we have to know your ACTIVITY MODIFIER.
Activity Modifier is an estimate of how active you are depending on what type of activities you do in a daily or weekly basis.
- Light Active = 1.25 –> If you do some basic household chores and/or light exercise or sports 1-3 days/week
- Habitual Daily Exercise = 1.40 –> If you are doing some daily walking or cycling for atleast 5 kilometers and/or moderate exercise or sports 3-5 days/week
- Highly Active = 1.60 –> If you are an athlete or do hard exercise or sports 6-7 days/week or has a physical job
Formula in Calculating AMR:
Active Metabolic Rate (AMR) = Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) x Activity Modifier
Benefits in Calculating AMR:
- Helps you know how many calories have you burnt in a day that will allow you to control your metabolism.
- If you are on a diet it is important to understand your body metabolism to keep track of your weight and eat less than the calories you are burning.
- Calculating your AMR will exactly help you adjust your diet accordingly and get better results.
*** Boost your metabolic rate by increasing your activity level . To lose weight, decrease calories consumed and/or increase calories used by about 500 calories per day.
A woman that weights 96 lbs, stands 58 inches and aged 26 that works at home and takes care of her child – light active.
BMR = 655 ( 4.35 x 96 ) + ( 12.9 x 58 ) – ( 4.7 x 26 )
= 655 + 417.6 + 748.2 – 122. 2
BMR = 1698.6
AMR = 1698.6 x 1.25
AMR = 2,123. 25—-> calories burnt a day.